- Question: How do I access the site to fill up the online application?
Answer: An applicant should log on to https://upsconline.nic.in/ to access the home page of the online application.
- Question: When can I submit online application for a particular examination? Can I apply any time during the year for a particular examination?
Answer: An applicant should apply for a particular examination only when it has been notified by the Commission. The complete and detailed information is available on Commission's website https://www.upsc.gov.in and at the website for filling the online application for particular notified exam/exams at https://upsconline.nic.in/.
- Question: How many times CDS exam are conducted?
Answer: CDS exams are conducted twice a year i.e. CDS I in February and CDS II in November.
- Question: What documents are required while filling the on-line application form?
Answer: Candidates should have valid email ID, contact number, a soft copy of Photo and signature or thumb impression in required size and format. While the time of filling CDS exam online application form.
Candidates also required payment source documents (Credit card, debit card, Net banking) to make payment online as CDS application fee. You may also deposit your fees cash in any of given state bank branches
- Question: How do I resize my photo?
Answer: It is absolutely necessary to upload the picture as per the guidelines in the form. You need to resize it to the given guidelines. An easiest way is to do so using the MS-Paint and Photoshop.
- Question: My name as per the Matriculation / Secondary Examination certificate is more than 30 characters long. What should I do, as the name field in the Online Application has a limit of 30 characters?
Answer: In the online application, as you fill up your name in the name field, if it reaches the default size of 30 characters, an additional field for full name will appear in the form and a pop up message i.e. "Your name is exceeding 30 characters kindly use abbreviation in the Name column". You may fill the full name in the Additional Field. Full Name field has a capacity of 70 characters.
- Question: Is it necessary to fill up both the parts i.e. part-I and part-II of the application?
Answer: Yes, it is necessary to fill up both the parts i.e. part-I and part-II of the application.
- Question: If I don't fill part-II of registration. Will my application be rejected or not?
Answer: Yes, the application will be rejected.
- Question: What is the procedure to pay the fee for the examination?
Answer: There are three options for the payment of fee-Pay -
- by Cash in any branch of State Bank of India,
- Pay by credit/debit Card and
- Pay by Net Banking facility of SBI.
- Question: What is the difference between CDS and NDA Exam?
Answer: Where the NDA examinations recruit for the Army, Naval and Air Force whereas the CDS examinations are conducted for recruitment for IMA, Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and OTA.
- Question: Is there any other bank in addition to SBI where fee can be deposited by cash?
Answer: No, the fee may be deposited in cash only in any branch of State Bank of India.
- Question: How will I re-enter the system to submit my cash transaction details of the fee if I log out of the system now?
Answer: An applicant, after having obtained the TRANSACTION ID number, should again log in by making use of the Registration ID number generated at the time of submission of Part-I of application & the date of birth of the applicant and thereafter enter the relevant particulars in the remaining columns. The Registration ID is also available on the challan.
- Question: When the relevant particulars i.e. the community/ age relaxation requirements/ disability status/ year of birth etc. do not appear in the corresponding parameters available in the drop-out menu. How should I fill up the relevant columns?
Answer: Before filling up the application, please check that you have selected the right examination in case more than one exam is notified during that period. In case, the applicant desires to opt for a criteria/parameter which is different from the one contained in the drop-down menu, would lead to the inference with the system that the candidate is not eligible for this examination on account of different parameter.
- Question: How will I get the admit card if I have submitted the application online?
Answer: All admitted candidates can download e-AC with details of centre address around three weeks ahead of Examination Date once Admit Card are uploaded on https://www.upsc.gov.in . No e-mails sent in this regard.
- Question: What is the format of scanned photograph and signature?
Answer: The images of the photograph and signature should be scanned in the .jpg format. No other format is acceptable by the online system.
- Question: Whether the photograph should be in Black & white or should it be in a colour?
Answer: Both are acceptable as long as they are as per the given specifications and quality of photograph is good enough to be identifiable and acceptable.
- Question: What should be the size of the scanned photograph and the signature?
Answer: The candidate should scan his/her signature which has been put on white paper with black ink pen. Each of the scanned images of the photograph/signature should not exceed 40 KB in size (for photograph, the pixel size is 140 pixels height x110 pixels width and for signature it should be 110 pixels height x140 pixels width) and also to be ensured that the uploaded photograph/signature are proper.
The Candidates may note that if the quality of photograph/signature is poor, the application is liable to be rejected after having clicked on the Confirm Upload button; the system will not allow any changes in the photograph/signature.
- Question: How do I know that my application is registered? OR How do I reconfirm that my application is saved and received in the commission's office?
Answer: The successful submission of the online application requires the completion of two parts of the application correctly. After completing the part-I of the application the system generates a unique number which is known as the Registration ID (RID). After the completion of all the columns in part-II, a fresh page displays the message that the application has been submitted successfully. The generation of the unique registration ID number combined with the display of this message indicates that the application has been registered.
- Question: I filled my form and successfully paid the application fee through online payment gateway (once or several times). However this is not showing in the application status. What should I do?
Answer: If you have paid through Debit / Credit card and Online Application again shows payment options to pay again then you have to pay a fresh. In case, you have paid through Internet Banking facility then Login into Part II and click on Status link at the bottom of the screen. Unless Online Application shows successful payment, you cannot fill the application form.
- Question: I got Blank / Zero Registration No. after submission of application on-line. What should i do?
Answer: This may mean that the application has not been submitted successfully and you are required to apply afresh.
- Question: What details should I retain after completion of successful submission of my form?
Answer: It is strongly advised that after the completion of the process of submission of the online application, the applicant must take a print out of the submitted application form and keep the same for future reference. The candidate is also advised to keep his fee payment proof which might be required by the commission in case of any discrepancy.
- Question: How eligibility of age is calculated?
Answer: Candidates are advised to visit official notification for cds exam.
- 19-24 Years - Indian Military Academy
- 19-22 Years - Naval Academy
- 19-23 Years - Air Force Academy
- 19-25 Years - Officers' Training Academy.
- Question: What is the education qualification for cds exam?
Answer: Candidates with bachelor can apply for cds exam. There are some criteria :
- IMA and OTA: Degree of a recognized University or equivalent
- Naval Academy: B.Sc. with Physics & Mathematics or Bachelor of Engg.
- Air Force Academy: B.Sc. with Physics and/or Mathematics or Bachelor of Engg.
- Question: Can I change my centre after submission of application?
Answer: Change of Centre cases are normally discouraged by UPSC. However, written request duly signed addressing to J.S. (Exam), UPSC may be sent for change of centre request towards its consideration based on its merit.
- Question: What should I do in case some mistake found in my application after its submission?
Answer: You can submit multiple applications & required to pay the fee with new RID in case you are not a fee exempted candidate and your RID for latest submitted completed application will be considered for processing and all earlier submitted applications will be cancelled by online system.
- Question: How many attempts are allowed for appearing in CDS exams?
Answer: There is no such no. of attempts is mentioned in CDS notification or on UPSC website. Students can attempt till they fulfil the age criteria of CDS application.
- Question: Is there any specific % require to apply for CDS?
Answer: No. As per the CDS notification & UPSC website, there is no such criteria is mentioned. Candidates only have to secure passing marks to apply cds exam.
- Question: What are age criteria for cds exam?
Answer: There is difference in age criteria according to the posts-
- For Indian Military Academy:- 19 to 24 years
- For Officer's Training Academy:- 19 to 25 years
- For Naval Academy:- 19 to 22 years
- For Air Force Academy:- 19 to 23 years
- Question: What is the CDS Exam Pattern
Answer: CDS 2018 is a written exam which consists of only Multiple Choice Questions. For getting into Indian Military Academy, Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy, candidates are required to appear for all the 3 papers- English, General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics. However, For Officers Training Academy, candidates must take two papers only- English and GK. Each paper carries 100 marks.
The question paper will also consist of questions involving the metric system of Weights and Measures only will be set. Those who qualify in the written test are called for the second stage i.e., Intelligence and Personality Test.
- Question: Who can apply for cds exam?
Answer: The candidate must either be:
- A citizen of India,
- A subject of Bhutan,
- A subject of Nepal,
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the first July, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- A person of Indian origin migrated from outside country with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Question: What is CDS SSB Interview Process?
Answer: After clearing the written test in CDSE, the candidates have to go through a series of personality tests, which is called the Service Selection Board. This interview commonly known as SSB has different types of tests to judge a person's personality.
. SSB consists of three types of tests.
- The Screening Test
- The Psychological Tests
- The Interview
- Question: Can female/girl candidates apply for CDS exam?
Answer: Yes, Female (unmarried) candidates can apply for CDS only for the post of Officers Training Academy (OTA).
- Question: What is the educational qualification required for CDS exam?
Answer: Education Qualification varies according to the post-
- For Indian Military Academy: Degree of a recognized university or equivalent is required.
- For Air Force Academy: B.Sc with Physics and/ Or Mathematics Or Bachelor of Engineering is required.
- For Officer Training Academy: Degree of a recognized university or equivalent is required.
- For Naval Academy: B.Sc with Physics and Mathematics or Bachelor of Engineering is required.
- Question: What is the cds exam fee & who are exempted from paying fees in cds exam?
Answer: Candidates (excepting Female/SC/ST candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees Two Hundred Only).
- Question: What is the marital status for cds exam?
Answer: There is variation of marital status for cds exam -
- Question: When I will receive Admit Card (AC) once I had submitted my completed application.
Answer: All admitted candidates can download e-AC with details of centre address around three weeks ahead of Examination Date once Admit Card are uploaded on https://www.upsc.gov.in/
- Question: If i don't have final year mark sheet for SSB/Interview of cds exam. What can i do?
Answer: In case a candidate is a final year student he will be required to get a mark sheet from the principal.
- Question: What is the medical eligibility for cds exam?
Answer: Candidates must be physically and mentally fit according to the given standards.
- vision standard for Naval and Airforce
- For Male:
- Candidate must able to read 6/6 in a distant vision chart with each eye with or without glasses (For Navy and Air Force without glasses only).
- Myopia should not be more than 3.5D
- Hypermetropia should not be more than 3.5D including Astigmatism.
- For Female:
- Aspirant must able to read 6/6 (better eye) and 6/8 (worse eye) in a distant vision chart with or without glasses
- Myopia should not be more than minus 5.5 including Astogination.
- Internal examination of the eye will be done by means of ophthalmoscope to rule out any disease of the eye.
- A candidate must have a good binocular vision.
- The color vision standard will be CP-III.
- A candidate should be able to recognize red and green colors.
- Teeth, Ear, Nose and Throat Conditions :
- CDS Physical Qualification also covers your conditions of teeth, ear Nose, Throat etc. Check the standards given below.
- The applicants ought to have an adequate number of normal and sound teeth.
- At least 14 dental focuses will be satisfactory.
- A hopeful ought not to be experiencing serious pyorrhea.
- The listening must be ordinary.
- A hopeful ought to have the capacity to hear a constrained whisper with every ear at a separation of 610 cms in a very room.
- There ought to be no confirmation of present or past disease of the ear, nose, and throat.
- A sound metric test will be ruined AF. Sound metric misfortune ought not to exceed+20 db in frequencies somewhere around 250Hz and 4000 Hz.
- Question: What are physical criteria?
Answer: Candidates are advised to go to official notification of cds exam which is released by UPSC.
- First of all, the participants should take care that they are physically & mentally fit and fine and free from any type of disease/disability.
- Participant does not have any type of mental breakdown record in past.
- The aspirant must undergo a preliminary medical check-up for wax in ears, refractory error of eyes, a fungal infection of skin before reporting for the SSB interview.
- Candidate must be under a standard weight
- The chest should be in fine condition. An x-ray of the candidate will be carried out for figuring out any disease in his chest.
- The minimum range of expansion after full inspiration should be 5 cms.
- There should be no disease of bones and joints of the body.
- There are height/weight standards for male & female candidates. Please refer cds official notification.
- Question: How to get refund of payment as I has made payment more than once towards its fee.
Answer: UPSC has no provision to refund any fee amount paid by candidates. Concerned banks may be approached for claiming any extra/ unsuccessful payments made by the candidates.
- Question: How I will fill-up transaction details after making payment by cash to SBI?
Answer: Login into Part II, Click on Pay by Cash -> Through any SBI Branch to find that you have already generated the challan. All generated challans are valid till its closing date. Click on continue on the screen page for filling Transaction-Id & Date and click on Submit.
- Question: When I will visit bank to pay fee by cash & my RID is not found in bank.
Answer: On downloading challan form for cash payment visit Bank on next day & ask Bank to use Screen Reference No. in case of difficulty.
- Question: Is it possible to edit my record submitted in my application?
Answer: There is no editing facility in the application. In case of any mistake in filling application, candidate is responsible. However, fresh application may be made for correction of earlier mistake.
- Question: How I will take printing of my submitted application?
Answer: You may click on View/Print option at https://upsconline.nic.in/upsc/viewapplication.php site. Then enter RID & DOB to print your submitted application.
- Question: I am appearing in the final year of my graduation. Can i apply for cds exam?
Answer: Yes, Candidates who are appearing last year of their graduation can apply for cds exam.
- Question: Can candidates with arts/humanity stream degree apply?
Answer: Candidates with graduation degree from any stream can apply for cds exam. But candidates holding degree from Arts/Humanity can only apply for Army.
- Question: Is there any negative marking for wrong answer in cds exam?
Answer: Candidates should note that there will be penalty (Negative Marking) for wrong answers marked by a candidate in the Objective Type Question Papers.