The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is an all India level entrance examination for admissions to undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) law programs offered by the twenty two National Law Universities (NLUs) and various other private institutes. CLAT is conducted by the consortium of National Law Universities consisting of representative universities. CLAT is generally conducted in Month of May every year. Notification is published in month and December and registrations remain open till March, every year.
Some Interesting Facts about CLAT
- First CLAT was conducted for the first time on 11 May 2008 by NLSIU-Bangalore
- Total seven law schools participated in first CLAT 2008.
- A total number of 1037 seats were offered to be filled by the CLAT 2008.
- The second CLAT, for the academic year 2009-10, was conducted on 17 May 2009 by Nalsar-Hyderabad.
- CLAT 2015 is organized by Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- CLAT 2016 is organized by Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL), Punjab.
- 10th CLAT 2017 was organized by Chanakya National Law University (CNLU), Patna.
- 11th CLAT 2018 was organized by The National University Of Advanced Legal Studies (Nuals), Kochi, Kerala.
- 12th CLAT 2019 was being organized by The National Law University Odisha, Cuttack (NLUO).
- 13th CLAT 2020 is being organized by The National Law University Jharkhand, Ranchi (NUSRL).
- The NLU, Delhi conducts separate entrance test known as All India Law Entrance Test (AILET).
- B R Ambedkar NLU, Sonipat, Haryana provisionally participates in CLAT.
About CLAT Exam
The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is for those candidates who seek to make their career in Law field.
Admission in integrated UG Program is offered on the test performance basis for Higher Secondary Examination
or the 12th grade passed candidates. Admission in Master of Laws (LL.M) PG Program is offered for those
candidates who have Graduation in Law.
This is a two hour admission test for UG Course consists of objective type questions on English, general knowledge, basic mathematics, besides legal and logical reasoning while admission test for PG course also have a section on essay writing.