About SSC CHSL
Through Combined Higher Secondary Level examination LDC (lower division clerk), DEO (Data Entry Operator) & Postal Assistant/Sorting Assistant are recruited by the staff selection commission.
Scheme of examination
- Written test
- Skill/Typing Test (only of qualifying nature)
- Educational Qualification: 12th standard or equivalent or higher from recognized university or board.
- Age Limit: Candidate should have attained 18 years & should be below 27 years. Candidates can claim age relaxation if he/she falls under and considered category. The age limits mentioned here are applicable to general category candidates.
- a citizen of India, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India, before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania ( Formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar ), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Currently the pay scale for LDCs, Postal Assistant/Sorting Assistant and DEO is 5200-20200 (Grade Pay 1900 & 2400).
How to apply
Only one application, either a paper application or online application is to be submitted by the candidates to the concerned Regional/Sub-Regional office of the Commission keeping in view the Centre of examination chosen by him/her.
- Offline Mode – the application must be filled in the prescribed format as mentioned in the notification. Candidates should pay fee by means of “Central Recruitment Fee Stamps (CRPF)” only
- Online Mode – Candidates may submit online applications at website http://ssconline.nic.in and http://ssconline2.gov.in . They should retain registration number assigned to them online for future correspondence. Fee should be paid through state bank of India Challan or online account.
Mode of Selection
Candidates will be shortlisted for the skill test on the basis of their performance in the Written Examination. Candidates who qualify in the skill test will be recommended for appointment by the Commission on the basis of their performance in the Written Examination selection of candidates will be made depending upon their merit position and option for various posts, Groups, Departments and States for which option is sought in the application.
Scheme of Written Exam
||Max Marks /Questions
||General Intelligence & Reasoning
10 am – 12 Noon
2 pm – 4pm
Questions will be Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) format. Each question will have four options; candidate has to choose one correct option among the given options. The paper will be in both Hindi and English version. The section ‘D’ will be in English language only. Deduction of 0.25 marks will be made for each incorrect answer.
Syllabus of Written Exam
- General Intelligence: Semantic Analogy, Symbolic/Number Analogy, Figural Analogy, Semantic Classification, Symbolic/Number Classification, Figural Classification, Semantic Series, Number Series, Figural Series, Problem Solving, Word Building, Coding and de-coding, Numerical operations, Symbolic operations, Trends, Space Orientation, Venn Diagrams, Drawing inferences, Punched hole/pattern-folding & unfolding, Figural Pattern – folding and completion, Embedded figures, Critical Thinking, Emotional Intelligence, Social Intelligence, Other sub-topics, if any.
- English Language:
- Spot the Error
- Fill in the Blanks
- Spellings/Detecting Mis-spelt words
- Idioms & Phrases
- One word substitution
- Improvement of Sentences
- Active/Passive Voice of Verbs
- Conversion into Direct/Indirect narration
- Shuffling of Sentence parts/Shuffling of Sentences in a passage
- Cloze Passage
- Comprehension Passage
- Quantitative Aptitude:
- Arithmetic - Number Systems, Percentages, Ratio and Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest (Simple and Compound), Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Alligation, Time and distance, Time and work
- Algebra: Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra (and their simple applications), Elementary surds (simple problems), Graphs of Linear Equations.
- Geometry: Triangle and its various kinds of centres, Congruence and similarity of triangles, Circle and its chords, tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle, common tangents to two or more circles.
- Mensuration: Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons, Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square Base
- Trigonometry: Trigonometry (for acute angles 0 with 0=0=90), Trigonometric ratios, Degree and Radian Measures, Standard Identities, Complementary Angles, Heights and Distances (simple problems only)
- Data Interpretation: Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar-diagram, Pie-chart
- General Awareness: Questions are designed to test the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions are also designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining to History, Culture Geography, Economic Scene, General policy and scientific research.
Skill Test for data entry operator
Data Entry Speed of 8,000 (eight thousand) Key Depressions per hour on Computer. The ‘Speed of 8000 key depressions per hour on Computer’ will be adjudged on the basis of the correct entry of words key depressions as per the given passage and the duration of the said Test will be 15 (Fifteen) minutes and printed matter in English containing about 2000-2200 strokes/key-depressions would be given to each candidate who would enter the same in the Computer.
Typing Test for Postal Assistant/Sorting Assistant and LDCs
Typing Test will be conducted in English or Hindi and candidates while applying for the Examination, will have to indicate his/her choice/option for Skill Test Medium in the Application Form. The choice of language in the application will be final and no change will be allowed. Candidates opting for English medium should have typing speed of 35 words per minute and those opting for Hindi medium should have typing speed of 30 words per minute. The speed will be adjudged on the accuracy of typing on the Computer of a given text passage in 10 minutes.